Thursday, March 1, 2007

New workings

My personal projects now encompass way too many things:

I was hacking on a small threaded client/server to further my unix programming skills (sockets + pthreads), and now it's turning into a small game server. Threaded programming with sockets is giving me somewhat of a hard time. There seems to be papers saying that event driven programming is better, especially since you have the context switching going on with threads. However, others say that it really doesn't matter, and if you do it right, threads will be just as fast (if not faster). At the moment, I'm doing one thread per connection, which in some cases is bad, since it's pretty much limited by our maximum thread count. Each thread takes up space on the stack (which you can *try* to limit as best as possible) and then you multiply that by the number of threads, trying to keep it in bounds of memory. Maybe I'll just have to try different methods after I actually get this working correctly.

I suppose I've been reading more about electronics too, as I have some ideas for embedded systems projects. Atmel AVRs are pretty damn cheap and can do some cool things. I have two projects in mind, and I'm just reading through a basic electronics book making sure I'm going to create my circuits correctly.

All of my Linux kernel projects seem to keep being put on hold. I try and read all the new patches, but seem to fall behind. I suppose I'll just continue to read, and work on things when I can. If nothing pans out, maybe I'll create some patches for Kernel Janitors.

Well, there is obviously more than that, which includes small things I need to spend more time on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home